Six YSU students placed second nationally in this year’s Green Energy Challenge in both their team project presentation and the poster competition, winning a total of $2,800 for their accomplishments.
For the national competition, the team traveled to San Diego in late October as one of three finalist teams to present their project, which involved a full-scale energy audit and upgrade to YSU’s Cafaro House dormitory.
The team beat out several others from Purdue, Texas A&M, Oregon State, Southern Polytechnic University and more in the initial round of judging in May. It’s the second year in a row that a team from Youngstown State University placed within the top three teams in the nation for the competition.
This year’s team, from left, includes:
- David Wright, sophomore electrical engineering technology student of Youngstown.
- Ethan Parks, freshman electrical engineering technology student of Greenford, Ohio.
- Justin Hosseininejad, graduate engineering student of Austintown.
- Jason Nutt, junior electrical engineering technology student of Cortland.
- Jarrett Scacchetti, third year student of Canfield in electrical engineering and applied mathematics.
- Michael Sammartino, senior electrical engineering student of Austintown.
Courtesy of YSU Department of Marketing